The New Livestock Farmer provides pasture-based production essentials for a wide range of animals, from common farm animals (cattle, poultry, pigs, sheep, and goats) to more exotic species (bison, rabbits, elk, and deer).Farmer, consultant, and author Rebecca Thistlethwaite (Farms with a Future) and her husband and coauthor, Jim Dunlop, both have extensive experience raising a variety of pastured livestock in California and now on their homestead farm in Oregon.
Each species chapter discusses the unique requirements of that animal, then delves into the steps it takes to prepare and get them to market. Profiles of more than fifteen meat producers highlight some of the creative ways these innovative farmers are raising animals and direct-marketing superior-quality meats.
The New Livestock Farmer contains information on a variety of vital topics:
- Governmental regulations and how they differ from state to state;
- Slaughtering and butchering logistics, including on-farm and mobile processing options and sample cutting sheets;
- Packaging, labeling, and cold-storage considerations;
- Principled marketing practices; and
- Financial management, pricing, and other business essentials.
Chelsea Green Publishing
Paperback, 320 pages.